What to Do If You’re Involved in a Bike Crash
If you’re involved in a traffic crash, DO NOT ride away. Instead:
- Call the police at 911 (not 311). If needed, get medical help.
- From every vehicle involved, record: driver’s name, address, phone number, make of car, and insurance information.
- Get the names and phone numbers of witnesses.
- Get the names and badge numbers of responding police officers, and get the police report number.
- Write down how the crash happened while it is fresh in your memory.
- Keep (or photograph) any damaged clothing or equipment.
- You have the absolute right to be compensated for loss or severe damage to your bike.
If you are the victim:
- Don’t get mad at the scene. Keep a level head so you can ask questions and take notes.
- If injured, do not move unless you’re sure you won’t further injure yourself.
Note: BCPD policy is NOT to write a report unless there is bodily injury or significant damage to the bike. If an officer refuses to write a report, let us know at email@example.com